Oatmeal Apricot Squares
Easy to prepare and designed to make a small amount, these squares are a marvelous blend of flavors. It's a dessert that can be stirred up in no time to satisfy a sweet tooth...warm from the oven or as a treat later.
-Veronica Roza, Bayport, New York
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and
- baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press half of the mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Spread with preserves. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture; gently
- press down.
- Bake at 350° for 38-42 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a
- wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 16 bars.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 160 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 123 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.