Oat-Chip Banana Bread
"Banana bread has always been a favorite in our home," writes Lisa Green of Kunkletown, Pennsylvania. "As I was mixing up a batch one afternoon, I decided to add a cup of oatmeal and some chocolate chips. The yummy result was an immediate hit!"
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- bananas. Combine the flour, oats, salt, baking powder and baking
- soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture, stirring just until
- moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for
- 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack.
- Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 234 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium,