Nutty Onion Green Beans
I never liked green beans until I tried this recipe. The beans, onion and chopped pecans are coated in a delicious orange-mustard sauce. Now I make it for my family on a regular basis.
-Donna Buckley, Western Springs, Illinois
3-4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and
- set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and pecans in butter until onion is
- tender. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, orange juice,
- mustard and salt; stir into the onion mixture. Cook 2-3 minutes
- longer or until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in beans; heat
- through. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 200 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 483 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.