Nutty Caramel Corn
"Sweet, crunchy and chewy, this irresistible snack never lasts long around our house," writes Lois Davis of Clarkson, New York. "I make multiple batches for gatherings and to give as gifts."
26 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing
- 6 quarts popped popcorn
- 1-1/2 cups walnut halves
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine popcorn and nuts; set aside. In a large
- saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and corn syrup; bring to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; add
- vanilla. Pour over popcorn mixture; stir to coat.
- Spread onto two greased baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 1 hour or
- until dry, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from pans to waxed
- paper to cool. Break into clusters. Store in airtight containers.
- Yield: about 6-1/2 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 229 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 169 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.