Nutmeg Sugar Crisps
My grandma shared her recipe for these old-fashioned sugar cookies with the unexpected taste of nutmeg. They are light, crunchy and so delicious. That's why they're always a part of the Christmas tradition.
36 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in egg and vanilla; mix
- well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, nutmeg and
- salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 1
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12
- minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about
- 6 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 2 crisps equals 101 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.