Nutmeg Sour Cream Muffins
In Pine Island, Minnesota, Pat Walter stirs up these moist, fluffy muffins as a speedy accompaniment to a salad lunch. A sprinkling of sugar and nutmeg creates the tempting topping.
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, beat egg until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, 1/2 cup
- sugar and shortening; beat well. Combine the flour, baking powder,
- baking soda and salt; stir into sour cream mixture just until
- moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths
- full. Combine nutmeg and remaining sugar; sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool
- for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 9 muffins.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 199 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.