Crunchy Peacan Brittle is a great snack when the weather gets cold, and this candy melds sweet with salty perfectly. It is simple and enjoyable to make, but even better to eat!
—Andrea Quiroz, Chicago, Illinois
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- For brittle, butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan. In a large
- saucepan, cook and stir sugar and corn syrup over medium heat until
- a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Add pecans and
- salt; cook and stir until mixture reaches 300° (hard-crack
- Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda. Quickly pour into prepared
- pan. Spread to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool; break into pieces. Store in
- an airtight container. Yield: 1 pound.
Nutrition Facts: 2 ounces equals 418 calories, 21 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.