New England Boiled Dinner
This has been a popular dinner among our family for a long time. When we moved to California in 1960, I'd make it often to remind us of New England. We're back home now and continue to enjoy this scrumptious dish.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 smoked boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound fresh carrots, sliced lengthwise and halved
- 8 medium red potatoes. peeled and halved
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into quarters
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled, halved and sliced
- Place pork roast in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender;
- drain. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 350 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,120 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.