"I received this easy recipe from a friend," says Marianne Waldman of Brimfield, Illinois. "It's a pretty cake for birthday parties. I like to add some strawberry extract to the pink portion of the batter," she notes.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 8 to 10 drops red food coloring
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and eggs; beat on
- low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Divide
- batter into three equal portions.
- Pour one portion into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Stir red food coloring into another portion; carefully spoon into
- pan. Stir chocolate syrup and cocoa into remaining batter; carefully
- spoon into pan. Do not swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners'
- sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 193 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium,