My Favorite Rice Salad
This rice salad came from my mother's personal cookbook. I'm not sure where she found it, but it sounds like a New Orleans-type of dish to me. I like to make it for special occasions. It tastes especially good with barbecued meats. It also goes well with turkey dishes...and it's nutritious!
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Combine rice, beans and onion. In a separate bowl, combine oil,
- vinegar, sugar, relish and chili powder and salt if desired. Toss
- with rice mixture. Cover and chill for several hours. Just before
- serving, stir in green pepper. Yield: 8 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (without added salt) equals 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat; also, 239 calories, 201 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 40 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 7 gm fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.