My Favorite Granola
“I first made this granola when I was just 17 years old, but I have never since found a granola I like as much. I may add fresh fruit to it, but it’s delicious just as it is.” Sarah Wilson - Republic, WA
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. In a
- small saucepan, combine the water, oil, brown sugar and honey. Cook
- and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Pour over oat mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at
- 300° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once.
- Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 311 calories, 19 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.