Mushroom and Potato Chowder
My daughter shared this delightful recipe with me. Its rich broth, big mushroom taste and medley of vegetables make this chowder a little different from ordinary mushroom soup.
-Romaine Wetzel, Ronks, Pennsylvania
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large kettle, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour,
- salt and pepper; stir to make a smooth paste. Gradually add water,
- stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, celery, potatoes and carrots. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add cream
- and Parmesan cheese; heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 199 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 578 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.