Mushroom Veggie Chowder
This rich buttery broth is loaded with mushrooms, broccoli and corn. I made it for "Souper Sunday" at our church, and it sure didn't last long!
-Edward Reis, Phoenix, Arizona
50 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 4 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 tablespoons salt
- 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 quarts milk
- 4 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 packages (24 ounces each) frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) frozen corn, thawed
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In three or four soup kettles, saute the mushrooms and onions in
- butter until tender. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; stir into
- mushroom mixture until well blended. Gradually stir in milk. Cook
- and stir until mixture comes to a boil; cook 2 minutes longer or
- until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the broth, broccoli and corn; heat through. Just before
- serving, stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 50 servings (12-1/2
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 185 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 697 mg sodium,