Mushroom Sausage Strata
This flavorful casserole is a hearty mainstay for our family's Christmas Day brunch menu. Being able to assemble the recipe ahead of time is a real plus!
-Julie Sterchi, Jackson, Missouri
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- dish. Sprinkle with the sausage, mushrooms and cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; pour over the
- cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 296 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 170 mg cholesterol, 491 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.