Crisp and cheesy, these Mexican-style snacks from field editor Jeri Dobrowski of Beach, North Dakota are fun and flavorful. "We hosted a family reunion one spring and made a fiesta dinner. Everyone loved these quesadillas," notes Jeri.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Vegetable oil
- 8 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa and guacamole, optional
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and jalapenos in olive oil until
- tender and liquid is nearly evaporated. Add cilantro; cook and stir
- for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet; add one tortilla.
- Top with 1/2 cup cheese, 1/3 cup mushroom mixture and another
- tortilla. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly
- browned. Repeat with remaining tortillas, cheese and mushroom
- mixture, adding more oil as needed. Serve with salsa and guacamole
- if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 594 calories, 30 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 806 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.