Mushroom Onion Soup
Even those who don't like mushrooms like this soup! I've found it's a great first course when I have friends over.
Our home is a hobby farm with a view of Mississippi River bluffs. We have three daughters20, 19 and 16.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 cups (8 ounces) fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Trim mushroom stems level with the caps; finely chop stems and thinly
- slice caps.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; add mushrooms and onions. Cook and
- stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Blend in flour; add broth, salt
- and pepper. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce
- heat. Add rice and bay leaf; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or
- until the rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Yield: 4 servings (about 1-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with margarine, low-sodium broth and no added salt) equals 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch; also; 118 calories, 26 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol,