Mushroom Chicken Soup
Joan Anderson of West Covina, California, shares this creamy soup featuring leftover cooked chicken. “Tarragon really brightens the flavor,” she says. “I serve it as a main dish with crusty bread. It’s fabulous!”
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sliced carrot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil until tender. Stir
- in the flour, tarragon and pepper until blended. Gradually add
- broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes
- or until slightly thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in chicken, mushrooms and milk. Cover and simmer
- for 10-15 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 5
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium broth and fat-free evaporated milk) equals 185 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 760 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.