Mushroom Chicken Cacciatore
Jane Bone from Cape Coral, Florida gives an Italian treatment to chicken by slow-cooking it in a zesty tomato sauce and serving it over spaghetti. "It's great for company because it frees up time to spend with guests. Toss a salad and you're ready to eat," she suggests.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine or chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Transfer to a
- 3-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, mushrooms,
- onion, wine, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper; pour over
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Serve
- with spaghetti. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 255 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.