- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag; set
- aside 1 tablespoon for sauce. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, to
- the remaining flour mixture and shake to coat.
- Brown beef in oil in batches in a Dutch oven. Add portobello
- mushrooms, carrots and onion; saute until onion is tender. Add
- garlic, rosemary and rehydrated mushrooms; cook 1 minute. Stir in
- reserved flour mixture until blended; gradually add mushroom broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or
- until beef is tender. Cool stew; transfer to freezer containers.
- Freeze up to 6 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a
- Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until
- smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir
- 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with egg noodles if desired; top
- with blue cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (calculated without egg noodles) equals 298 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 780 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.