Mushroom Barley Bake
The first time I tasted this barley bake was when my daughter, a busy nurse, mother and farm wife, made it one night. Its tempting flavor prompted the whole family to ask for seconds.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 6 teaspoons chicken bouillon, divided
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Stir
- in barley and pimientos. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- dish. Dissolve 3 teaspoons bouillon in 2 cups water; stir in barley
- mixture. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Dissolve remaining
- bouillon in remaining water; stir into barley mixture. Bake,
- uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and barley
- is tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 171 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 556 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein.