Mulled Grape Cider
I came up with this recipe one year when I attempted to make grape jelly and ended up with 30 jars of delicious grape syrup instead. I then simmered the syrup with spices to make this beverage. —Sharon Harmon, Orange, Massachusetts
10-12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 5 pounds Concord grapes
- 8 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks (4 inches)
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, combine grapes and 2 cups water; bring to a
- boil, stirring constantly. Press through a strainer; reserve juice
- and discard skins and seeds.
- Pour juice through a double layer of cheesecloth into a 5-qt. slow
- cooker. Add the sugar, cloves, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and remaining
- water. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Discard cloves and
- cinnamon sticks. Yield: 10-12 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 231 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.