Mozzarella Tuna Melts
While the soup simmers, Jo assembles tasty Mozzarella Tuna Melts. "Our daughter's home economics teacher shared the recipe for these all-American favorites," she notes.
Using a mini food processor to chop the celery and onion for the filling helps shave preparation time. Then Jo just pops the sandwiches in the oven.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (6 ounces) water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the tuna, celery, onion and mayonnaise.
- Spread on bottom of buns; set bun tops aside. Top tuna mixture with
- a slice of cheese and tomato.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 12-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Top each
- with a lettuce leaf; replace bun tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 272 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 648 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.