Mom's Pickled Beets
Zesty and fresh-tasting, these bright, beautiful beet slices add spark to any meal. My mouth still begins to water when I think of how wonderful they tasted when Mother prepared them. Mildred Sherrer, Fort Worth, Texas
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (13-1/4 ounces each) sliced beets, undrained
- Sliced green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the
- heat; add beets. let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Transfer
- to a large bowl.
- Cover and chill 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with green onions if
- desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 126 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 713 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.