Mom's Macaroni and Cheese
The wonderful homemade goodness of this creamy macaroni and cheese makes it a staple side dish in my mother's kitchen and in mine as well. It has tender noodles and a crowd-pleasing golden crumb topping.
-Maria Costello, Monroe, North Carolina
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour,
- salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the
- cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese
- sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the
- bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30
- minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 309 calories, 20 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 569 mg sodium,