Mom's Lemon Custard Pie
My mother often made this pie back when we were growing up. You might say it's stood the test of time, because today it's still my 75-year-old brother's favorite! The beaten egg whites give it a delicate texture and make this custard pie quite unique! It's a great way to top off any meal. —Jeannie Fritson, Kearney, Nebraska
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9 inches)
- Whipped cream, lemon and mint, optional
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until well blended. Add the
- egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the
- milk, flour and salt; mix well. Stir in lemon juice and peel; set
- aside. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form;
- gently fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until lightly
- browned and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
- Garnish with whipped cream, lemon and mint if desired. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 261 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium,