Mom's Corn Bread
"CORN BREAD just seems to go with chili, especially here in the Southwest, even though Mom's chili is considerably different than the kind that is normally served around here. Mom always made a fresh batch of corn bread when she'd cook up a pot of chili. It just didn't seem right to have one without the other."
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder
- and salt. Whisk together the eggs, milk and shortening. Stir into
- dry ingredients just until blended.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for
- 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Yield: about 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 219 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 394 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.