Mom's Coconut Cookies
Mom worked hard to keep us fed during the Depression, and there was never a day we went hungry. These cookies could always be found in the cookie jar.
27 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt;
- gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut.
- Shape into two 3-1/2-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/8-in.
- slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 425° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to
- wire racks to cool. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 120 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.