Mom's Carrot Casserole
Rich and cheesy, this casserole is the very best way to eat carrots. Pretty orange slices peek out from under a bed of buttery cracker crumbs. My mom loves to cook and share recipes. She picked this one up from a dear friend.
-Gloria Grant, Sterling, Illinois
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 6 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain;
- place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a small saucepan, melt
- 1/4 cup butter and cheese, stirring often. Stir in dill. Pour over
- the carrots. Toss the saltines and remaining butter; sprinkle over
- carrots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until
- lightly browned and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 235 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 457 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.