Mom's Bean Medley
Pinto, garbanzo, green and wax beans star in this snappy marinated salad. For a taste twist, Mom added tomatoes and mayonnaise to the colorful combination.
-Cris O'Brien, Virginia Beach, Virginia
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, green pepper and onion. In a jar
- with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, oregano
- and garlic powder; shake well. Pour over vegetables and toss to
- coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Stir in mayonnaise. Add tomato; toss gently. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 249 calories, 16 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium,