- salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing
- with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 18-in. x 12-in.
- rectangle. Cut into six squares. Place an apple in the center of
- each square.
- Combine 2 teaspoons sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apples.
- Dot with butter. Bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges
- to seal.
- Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Pour syrup over
- dumplings; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and
- apples are tender. Serve warm with cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 dumpling with 1/4 cup syrup and 2 tablespoons cream equals 810 calories, 43 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 642 mg sodium, 102 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.