Molasses Raisin Chews
When I was a child, we always looked forward to visiting my aunt's farm. As soon as we arrived, she'd offer a plate of these chewy treats. We called them "Cry Baby Cookies" because we thought the three raisins on each one resembled two eyes and an open mouth.
66 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves
- and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating
- well after each addition.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking
- sheets. Arrange three raisins on each cookie. Bake at 350° for
- 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield:
- about 5-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 75 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 51 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.