Molasses Baked Beans
These hearty from-scratch baked beans taste like they were simmered over an open fire. Their sweet and zippy flavor is as big as the great outdoors. No matter what kind of meal you're "rustling up", this satisfying side dish is certain to please.
-Sandra Thorn, Sonora, California
16-20 ServingsPrep: 1 hour 25 min. + soaking Bake: 2 hours
- 2 pounds dried navy beans
- 5 quarts water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke or KC Masterpiece®
KC Masterpiece Original BBQ Sauce is great with all types of meat and in favorite sides like beans, casseroles and more.
See More Recipes >
- Place beans and 2-1/2 qts. water in a 6-qt. Dutch oven; bring to a
- boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; soak for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans; return to pan with remaining water. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are
- tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Return beans to pan; add
- remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 2
- to 2-1/2 hours or until beans reach desired consistency, stirring
- occasionally. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid if too thick.
- Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 308 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium,