Moist Irish Soda Bread
I'm allergic to yeast, so I appreciate recipes for quick breads, biscuits and soda breads. This tender loaf that's dotted with golden raisins is great, It's one way I can enjoy toast for breakfast.
Carol Fritz of Fulton, Illinois
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder
- and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add
- raisins. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Turn onto a
- lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet; pat into a 7-in. round loaf.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. cross about 1/4 in. deep on top of
- the loaf. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutrition Facts: One slice equals 181 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.