Modern Caesar Salad
Robust flavor distinguishes this recipe recommended by Dorothy Pritchett of Wills Point, Texas. "I've had several versions of Caesar salad but like this one best," she says.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 3 slices bread
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 8 cups torn romaine and leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Cut bread into 1-in. cubes and place on a baking sheet. Toast at
- 225° for 1-2 hours or until crisp, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine the oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic,
- salt and pepper in a jar with tight-fitting lid; shake well.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- In a large salad bowl, toss lettuce, cheeses and croutons. Shake the
- dressing; pour over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 194 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.