Mocha Ice Cream
Dick McCarty of Lake Havasu City, Arizona shares a recipe for chocolate ice cream that he's enjoyed for over 40 years. "Coffee really enhances the flavor," he assures.
20 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- Dash salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, flour, coffee
- and salt. Gradually add milk and eggs; stir until smooth. Cook and
- stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat a
- metal spoon and reaches 160°, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate
- until chilled. Stir in the remaining in the remaining ingredients.
- Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to
- manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until
- ready to freeze. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.
- Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 292 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.