Minty Rice Salad
When my garden is at its peak, I love to prepare this refreshing salad using my own tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, green peppers and mint. Make this wonderful dish ahead to allow the flavors to blend and for added convenience.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cooked brown or wild rice
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine rice, tomatoes, peas, cucumber, green
- pepper, green onions and radishes; set aside. In a small bowl,
- combine remaining ingredients. Pour over rice and vegetables; mix
- well. Chill for at least 1 hour. Serve cold. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with brown rice and without added salt) equals 231 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 225 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.