Minted Rice Casserole
The mild, minty flavor and almond crunch make this nice side dish for a meal with lamb. People will likely be impressed when you prepare this different and palate-pleasing rice casserole. Ann Eastman
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Dash garlic salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Remove from the heat;
- add rice. Cover and let stand for 3 minutes; drain. Rinse with cold
- water; drain well.
- In a skillet, melt butter. Add rice and cook over medium heat,
- stirring frequently until butter is almost absorbed, about 5
- minutes. Turn into a 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Pour broth over rice.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until most of liquid
- is absorbed. Add mint and fluff with a fork. Sprinkle almonds over
- top. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 210 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 1,155 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.