My grandmother would use food coloring to make red and green pears only at Christmastime, and I enjoy carrying on her tradition.
When I prepare this for a salad, I fill the centers with fresh fruit, fruit cocktail or cottage cheese.
As a dessert, there are more options...a dab of whipping cream with a cherry on top, a drizzle of chocolate on top of the whipped cream or a scoop of sherbet
2-3 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 medium ripe pears
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Peel pears and cut in half lengthwise; remove cores. In a large
- skillet, bring sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; add food
- coloring and extract. Carefully place pears in syrup. Simmer,
- uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Place pears in a deep bowl; pour syrup over pears. Make sure pears
- are completely covered in the syrup to prevent browning. Refrigerate
- for at least 1 hour or until serving. Garnish with fresh mint.
- Yield: 2-3 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 357 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 92 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein.