Minted Melon Salad
People can't resist digging into a salad made with colorful summer fruits. The unique dressing is what makes this salad a crowd-pleaser. I get compliments whenever I serve it, especially when I put it on the table in a melon boat. It's a warm-weather treat.
-Terry Saylor, Vermillion, South Dakota
12-14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 teaspoon aniseed
- Pinch salt
- 5 cups cubed watermelon (about 1/2 melon)
- 3 cups cubed cantaloupe (about 1 medium melon)
- 3 cups cubed honeydew (about 1 medium melon)
- 2 cups peach slices (about 2 peaches)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a small saucepan, bring the first six ingredients to a boil. Boil
- for 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Cover and cool syrup
- Combine the fruit in a very large bowl; add syrup and stir to coat.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Drain before serving. Spoon into watermelon bowl or 8-qt. serving
- bowl. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 98 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 19 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.