- creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each
- addition. Stir in vanilla and chocolate.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time,
- on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter over low heat;
- stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; transfer to a large bowl.
- Beat in the confectioners' sugar, hot water, vanilla and salt until
- Cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; top with 1/3 cup of filling. Repeat layers three
- times. In a large bowl, gently combine the whipped topping, extracts
- and food coloring. Frost the sides of the cake. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 308 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.