"I've been using this recipe for 40 years," reports Ruth Burrus, Zionsville, Indiana. "The cakes make cute gifts."
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit (about 4 ounces)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Halved candied cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine egg
- yolks and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients. In a small bowl, beat
- egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fill greased
- and floured muffin cups two-thirds full. Cover muffin tin tightly
- with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Uncover; top with cherries. Bake 5
- minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of each
- cup; remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 251 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium,