Mini Skillet Corn Bread
My husband says this recipe is close enough to the corn bread his mother used to make, so I consider it a winner. His criteria were to "put butter on the corn bread without it crumbling to pieces" and "to be able to break it up into a glass of milk without it turning to mush."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Place butter in a 6-in. ovenproof skillet or baking dish. Melt in a
- 425° oven; tilt to coat bottom and sides. In a bowl, combine
- corn bread mix and cornmeal. In another bowl, beat egg, milk and
- vinegar. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir until moistened. Pour into
- prepared skillet. Bake, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 2
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with half of an 8-1/2-ounce package of Jiffy corn bread/muffin mix.