Microwave Swiss Steak
Grace Ling of Winona, Minnesota lets her microwave do the work with this hassle-free Swiss steak dinner. "Because this dish is so simple to assemble, it's perfect after a long day when I don't feel like cooking," she mentions.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak (1/4 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces; pound with a mallet to tenderize.
- Place the steak in an ungreased shallow microwave-safe dish.
- Sprinkle with soup mix and mushrooms. Drain tomatoes, reserving
- liquid; set tomatoes aside.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and tomato liquid until smooth. Add
- pepper, cayenne if desired and tomatoes. Pour over meat. Cover and
- microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until mixture begins to boil.
- Microwave, covered, at 50% power for 14-19 minutes longer or until
- meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced sodium onion soup mix and no-salt-added whole tomatoes) equals 201 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.