Microwave Broccoli and Rice
From Cleveland, Oklahoma, Shirley Tockey shares this speedy side dish that's sized right for two. Broccoli and instant rice made it perfect alongside most any entree, and using the microwave helps you ring the dinner bell in no time.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2 teaspoons butter, cut up
- 3/4 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules or 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- In a 3-cup microwave-safe bowl, combine the water, rice, butter,
- bouillon and pepper. Top with broccoli florets. Cover and microwave
- on high for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Let
- stand for 5 minutes. Stir before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 143 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.