Mexicana Skillet Stew
Bobby Walker brings the Southwest to her table with this super supper. "I sometimes serve this hearty mixture in warm flour tortillas," writes the Lake Isabella, California reader. "Add some scrambled eggs and you have a terrific breakfast burrito," she suggests.
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, potatoes, onion, green pepper and
- mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are
- tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add picante sauce, garlic salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer or
- until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with lean ground beef and garlic powder) equals 344 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 527 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.