Mexican Rice with Chicken
This skillet supper comes together with leftover cooked chicken and a packaged mix. "After I prepared this rice, I served the extras on tortillas with cheese and sour cream the next day," says Debra Rzodkiewicz of Erie, Pennsylvania. "Both meals were a hit."
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (6.4 ounces) Mexican-style rice and pasta mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with onions, undrained
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- In a large skillet, cook and stir rice and pasta mix in butter until
- lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the water, tomatoes and
- contents of rice seasoning packet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and jalapeno. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until
- rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Rice-a-Roni rice and pasta mix. When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 385 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 1,217 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.