Mexican Rice Mix
Cumin and garlic powder season long grain rice in this simple side dish from Sonya Dueck of Cartwright, Manitoba. The mild mixture would be a nice complement to a spicy Mexican entree.
12-18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups water
- In a bowl, combine the bouillon, salt, garlic powder and cumin. Store
- in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.
- Yield: about 5 tablespoons.
- To prepare rice: In a saucepan, saute rice, onion and green pepper in
- butter until rice is lightly browned. Stir in water and 5 teaspoons
- seasoning mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15
- minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (5 teaspoons) equals 158 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 715 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.