Mexican Beans and Rice
This skillet supper is terrific for a cold or rainy day. It’s easy, comforting and really fills the tummy. Sometimes I switch up pinto beans for kidney beans, or white rice for brown. Add rolls and a green salad, and it’s dinner!
—Lorraine Caland, Thunder Bay, Ontario
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add
- celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, rice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and
- pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 7-9 minutes
- or until heated through. Top with cheese, sour cream and green
- onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 354 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 549 mg sodium,