Melon with Serrano-Mint Syrup
"This is just one of the recipes I developed to take advantage of the fresh mint I grow nearly year-round. The serano pepper is a nice contrrast to the sweetness of the syrup and salad. —Jennifer Fisher, Austin, Texas
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced serrano pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups each cubed watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, lemon juice, honey and
- serrano pepper. Bring to a boil; cook for 3-5 minutes or until
- slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in mint and lemon
- peel. Cool to room temperature.
- Strain syrup; discard pepper, mint and lemon peel. In a large bowl,
- combine the melons. Add syrup; gently toss to coat. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 2 hours, stirring several times. Serve with
- a slotted spoon. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 92 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.