Mediterranean Orange Salad
“A friend gave me this old Sicilian recipe, featuring a refreshing mix of oranges, onion and oil dressing," says Amelia. "It's the kind of salad I can imagine sitting by the sea and enjoying.”
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, combine the oranges, onion, oil, salt and pepper;
- gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove orange mixture to lettuce-lined plates.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 189 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 fruit.